Chapter two of CBSE first grade focuses on introducing kids to concept of less and more . And gradually use this to teach them counting till 10.
Today am posting simple interactive activities that you can do at home.
1) Different Kinds of Fruits
2) Chess Pieces (White and Black)
Start arranging the fruits in a group of 2 , 3 or 4 fruits. Let child figure out which one has more fruits.
Once the child has identified the set which has more fruits. Remove extra fruits and make the two sets equal. Let the child observe this.
Later remove one more fruit from one of the set and show that you have again landed up with two sets in which one has less and other has more.
With Chessboard pieces:
In all chess gives us 32 pieces. So we can use it to do lot of more-less activity, matching activity , counting as well.
1) Arrange 3 black pawn on one side and 4 white pawn on other side.
Ask the child to make the black ones more and white ones less.
2) Make matching activity with white and black pawns. Let child use finger to make a matching line to connect right sets.
3) Let child make equal pairs using the chess pieces.
4) Use chess pieces to teaching ascending and descending order.
Chess pieces are excellent for teaching logical patterns identifications, I will cover it when the topic comes in the due course.
In addition to above you can also use ice-cream sticks, pom-pom balls, stickers or paper cutouts to emphasis on this concept. Lots of ideas available on net for this. Posting a pinterest link for your reference.
Recommended external resources
Leave a Reply